June 16, 2009

Boy's Life

Robert McCammon, 1991
Twelve-year old Corey's
unforgettable summer
threatens innocence

My friend, Jennifer, tried to get me to read this for years. Needless to say, she finally succeeded. I am so glad she is persistent. This book was so what I needed at the time. I had just started teaching high school at a treatment center for teenagers, and things were a little out of my hands. This book comforted me and reminded me that there's magic to be found, if we're looking for it.

It's a stunning blend of brilliant imagination and stark realism that brings this book to life. I couldn't decide on one emotion during my ride on this proverbial roller-coaster. It was like real life. Except not really like real life in the California suburbs. (PG-13)

My Goodreads Rating: 

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if I have ever seen this review before. Its spot on though. You should update more frequently.

    ReplyDelete