June 18, 2009

The Goose Girl

Shannon Hale, 2003
A fairytale by
The Brother's Grimm is retold
in classic fashion

This book took me a little longer to get into than normal. It's clever, but the language is a little flowery, and the names (although just like The Brother's Grimm's version) are unbearably long at times and very difficult to pronounce...even in my head. Still, I had plenty of fun reading this book. I was quite unaware of the original fairytale, so it was nice to get caught up. I think it's always cool to read revamped fairytales.

A couple of things though... (1) I think I was supposed to like the main character more than I did. Personally, I found her friends and enemies to be more exciting. (2) The middle dragged some. I felt like the action kind of let up for a while, and it took a very long time to resolve itself. This could have been shorter. (PG)

My Goodreads Rating: 

2 comments:

  1. I love the Haikus...do you pluralize haiku? Anyway, that's a fun element. Cool blog. I like it. What are you reading now? Have you been robbing our library while we're gone? I can't wait to come home. Although I did totally lay out by the pool for an hour and a half today. That was nice. I just finished the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. They were fun and it was cool to have all of the Greek Mythology woven in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding: Your Blog
    Love the title, love the picture, love the content, LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete