June 20, 2009

The Hiding Place

Corrie ten Boom, 1971
Corrie makes the choice
to save her Jewish neighbors
at her own peril

I recently quit my teaching job at a residential treatment center in Provo. It was a difficult year, but I had some great students. One of these students, Spencer, a fashion-forward lover of all things Gwen Stefani, gave me this book when he discharged from the program. It took me a couple of months to decide to finally start it. I knew what it was about and was worried that the content would depress me or make me too sad. I was wrong.

The difficult topics were still difficult; the sad parts still incredibly sad. But somehow, this book did not depress me at all; if anything it was uplifting in its message. At a time when so many were afraid for their lives, this woman risked hers to help those around her. I've wondered since reading this book if I would have the courage to do something like Corrie did, and I still don't know. I guess that's something I might need to work on. (PG-13)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul