June 20, 2009

The Hobbit

J.R.R. Tolkien, 1937
Bilbo Baggins leaves
the Shire to help the Dwarves
win back their fortune

I've tried reading The Lord of the Rings a few times, and I figured this might be a good way to get started. All that I knew about the story of The Hobbit came from the movies. I also remember a somewhat creepy-looking cartoon from my childhood, but I think we should just sweep that one under the rug. Now I'm all caught up on the folklore!

I had a hard time not imagining Ian Holm as Bilbo, so I tried to change his hair to brown and lessen the wrinkles. (Worked out pretty good.) It was great to get more insight into the back stories that I'd heard whispered in secret LOTR fan club meetings...(kidding). Favorite scene by far: Gollum's Cave. (PG)

My Goodreads Rating: 

3 comments:

  1. Eh, I got bored half-way through this book. Sorry, Court.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're not referring to the amazing animated feature from 1978 that defined my childhood as "creepy-looking". I not only memorized that entire movie (I think at one time I may have been able to recite all the lines in the movie without the movie playing) but I also have partially based my artwork on the animation style.

    Also, I used to worship JRR Tolkien. And Gollum is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the creepy cartoon. Also listened to a sweet audiotape of the LOTR growing up. I've Read the hobbit 3 times, true I think it was assigned the last time, but I read it again and still enjoyed it. Somehow I believe Mike.

    ReplyDelete