June 14, 2009

The Hours

Michael Cunningham, 1998
Mrs. Dalloway
has a profound effect on
three struggling women

I cried in an airport while reading this book. I'd bought it before my first flight, and while waiting for a connection, I sat in a hard white chair and cried. Although my life is very different from the lives of these characters, the story felt very personal. It still feels personal.

Written in the stream-of-consciousness narrative style, it reads more like prose than a typical novel. Cunningham expertly weaves fiction and non, Virginia Woolf herself being one of the main characters. I was easily swept up, living in sync with these unknown people. This novel was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1999. (R)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul