June 21, 2009

Picnic, Lightning

Billy Collins, 1998
Billy Collins makes
me want to wrap myself in
a toasty blanket

I first learned about Billy Collins in college from my professor, Matt Babcock. This was an assigned text for a poetry class, and I felt like I'd been given a personal gift. I didn't think anybody could be as moved as I was when reading this collection. (Of course, I know that's stupid to say...these poems could move a dorito.)

Some of my favorites from this collection include: "Marginalia", "I Go Back to the House for a Book", "The Many Faces of Jazz", "Taking Off Emily Dickinson's Clothes", and "Passengers". Also check out "Forgetfulness", an animated reading (he has a soothing voice). I don't know how someone could have another favorite poet. (PG)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul