June 13, 2009

Pride & Prejudice

Jane Austen, 1813
Elizabeth does
her utmost to thwart all of
Darcy's advances

I will not lie. I saw the BBC adaptation of Pride & Prejudice before I read the book. My grandma actually taped it (on a VHS) off of A&E when it first aired. Undaunted by long movies (The Sound of Music being my favorite), I watched this over and over, falling more and more in love with Mr. Darcy. This led me to be somewhat disenchanted with the recent film version starring Keira Knightley. (I think Jennifer Ehle is lovely.)

This book continues to be rewarding time and again. Jane Austen's flawless style is mind-blowingly simple; her dialogue saturated with witticisms I wish I'd been aware of in college. Anyone who has yet to partake of what many call the greatest novel ever written, is in need of a good spanking. (PG)

My Goodreads Rating: 

2 comments:

  1. And your enjoyment of the A&E version can't have anything to do with the fact that Jennifer Ehle is you with a wig?

    I agree that the A&E version is better. I think I like it better than the book... maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know that's one of the best compliments ever, right? She's beautiful! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete