June 15, 2009

To Kill A Mockingbird

Harper Lee, 1960
Tomboy Scout sees the
marks racism can leave on
a community

If there were a list of books that a person had to read in order to be considered part of the human race, this book would be at the top. Unfortunately for me, I didn't read this until I was hired as a high school English teacher. I figured I'd better catch up on the curriculum, since it was apparent that my own was sorely lacking. (It should be illegal to graduate from high school without reading this book.)

Written through the eyes of a young girl, nicknamed Scout, the reader is drawn into a coming-of-age tale that reminds one of how simply a child sees things. Some adults just screw everything up. I can't think of a story more touching and profound. It was the only one she ever wrote. (PG-13)

My Goodreads Rating: 

1 comment:

  1. Aunt Courtney-
    I read this book based on your review. I agree, it's one of those books you have to read at some point. I thought it was great! And I love your blog, by the way. Keep up the good work!
    :)
    -Brynn

    ReplyDelete