June 21, 2009

Twelve Angry Men

Reginald Rose, 1954
Juror Number 8
helps the other members see
their prejudices

I don't know where I first saw this movie, but I think it's really important. Originally this was a screenplay, and then Rose made it into a play. I've never seen any version, except for the one with Henry Fonda as Juror #8, and it's perfect. (Love Henry Fonda!) This is another one of those stories that one should have to read to be considered part of the human race. The message is universal and timeless.

I taught this to my 9th and 10th graders last year, and they actually really got into it. I think they could see the prejudice that people have, and they could relate to the characters. It was a great lesson in morality for them, although I think they were bummed out that we never really find out the truth of what happened. (PG-13)

My Goodreads Rating: 

3 comments:

  1. I've only seen the Henry Fonda movie and it ruled. I saw it at Ricks, so maybe I told you about it? I think that might be wishful thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember you showing me something very special..."He-Man: Masters of the Universe". My life was forever changed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite lines is when the business man is proposing an idea and he says something to the effect of, "well I don't know about you, but why don't we run this up the flag poll, and see.... "

    Amazing play. I remember reading it my sophomore year, and it actually changing me. It made me actually consider things that I never had before.

    Everyone really should read this, then of course watch the movie. They do a really clean up job.

    ReplyDelete