July 21, 2009

Austenland

Shannon Hale, 2007
Thirty-something Jane
heads to England with the hopes
of landing Darcy

The plot, truthfully, is a little silly. But hey, it's a 200 page novel about a woman who is obsessed with Jane Austen, so what were we expecting? I'm fine with the main character's love for Jane Austen, just not for the way she shows it. Silly or not, it was still enjoyable. It only took me a couple of hours to finish, and I'll admit, I laughed more than I grimaced.

It's clever in its approach, detailing each and every one of the main character's failed relationships in small vignettes, and also inserting humorous references to several movies based on Jane Austen's works (references only a true J.A. junkie would know). Northanger Abbey is once again accused of being the ugly step-sister of the bunch, but I'm not so sure about that. I haven't read it yet. (PG-13)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul