July 21, 2009

The Comedy of Errors

William Shakespeare, 1593
This is what happens
when everything that could go
wrong, goes very wrong

I chose to read this because it was the shortest of Shakespeare's plays, and because it was available online. It didn't take me more than an hour. Well, it shouldn't have taken me more than an hour, except that I stopped after each scene and read the summary on SparkNotes. I am not ashamed. I was having difficulty with the language, and I wanted to fully understand the text. I lay my weaknesses before you.

I found the plot to be very clever and pretty near impossible. OK, completely impossible. Two sets of twins separated at birth, and both sets with the same names as the other set? According to Wikipedia (a valid source, I know), there has never been a film made of this play, although I think the plot of Big Business with Bette Midler and Lily Tomlin comes pretty darn close. (PG-13)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul