July 21, 2009

Matilda

Roald Dahl, 1988
Matilda Wormwood,
girl genius, finds that she has
magical powers

This is one of those children's films that remains great even as an adult. This was my first time experiencing the book, though I've read other works by Roald Dahl. The genius that brought us Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (I'm still claiming the Gene Wilder film as the best version), leaves no room for criticism in this wildly imaginative story about a fascinating little girl.

Everything was the way I thought it would be from watching the movie. Matilda was just as delightful and soft-spoken, Miss Honey was just as loving and sweet, and the Trunchbull was just as disgustingly vile. Even the lunch lady was as creepy. I think the movie was perfectly cast. The book also contains quite a few literary references, and I've happily been able to add to my to-read list. (G)

My Goodreads Rating: 

2 comments:

  1. all time favorite. Much too good for children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS MOVIE! MUAHAHAH. I'm not sure if the movie is the same as this book but I really just wanted to say hi to you! haha.

    ReplyDelete