July 21, 2009

Oliver Twist

Charles Dickens, 1838
A poor orphan boy
without a friend in the world
is taken by thieves

I have never finished anything written by Charles Dickens...until now. It's not that he's boring, or that he can't tell a story, it's just that the story is so tedious and slow-going. I think more than half of the book didn't even involve Oliver at all. This is one of those cases where the main character remains static and the side characters become more and more interesting. Love that Mr. Bumble.

One of my co-workers is a huge Dickens fan (something I find rather surprising), and he suggested that if I was to read anything first, it needed to be Oliver Twist. I'm glad that I took his advice. It did take me a few weeks to finish the book, but it was worth it. I can't explain the feeling of elation that overcame me when I closed the back cover. "I finished it! I've read Dickens!" It feels good. (PG-13)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul