August 11, 2009

Fahrenheit 451

Ray Bradbury, 1953
A futuristic
glimpse at a world where books are
no longer allowed

I have vague memories of reading this book in 7th grade in Mr. Lotta's English class. Mr. Lotta was an Italian beatnik/hippy (he wore berets & tie-died shirts), who loved poetry and wombats. I loved his class. For some sad reason, I didn't remember this book, although the lyrics to Waltzing Matilda are burned into my retinas.

While obviously a strange book, I was unprepared for the major stomachache that occurred while reading. Imagining a world where books are burned and free thought is no longer allowed scares the poop out of me. One of the most interesting things about the book is the derivation of the title: 451˚ F is the degree at which book paper spontaneously combusts. Supposedly. (PG-13)

My Goodreads Rating: 

1 comment:

  1. There's a special Ray Bradbury event at Fresno State next March, where he will be speaking (doing q+a) via teleconferencing (through the Madden Library). Which is ironic: Bradbury's depiction of life in "F-451" with households having (tv) screen walls, and Fresno State's Bradbury correspondence being played live via a large screen mounted to the wall. I guess if you manage to stay alive for 89 years, you just go with the flow, and accept that society is all going to hell. I will be there to witness this transgression. And then I might actually read the book.

    ReplyDelete