August 8, 2009

The Westing Game

Ellen Raskin, 1978
Sixteen heirs are read
a will and are given clues
to solve a murder

I found this in elementary school (during my Nancy Drew days), when I was a frequent visitor to the library. Those of you who know of my obsession with shows like Law & Order or CSI will understand my deep love of mysteries. I owe this love to my grandpa, Herman Stidham, who introduced me early on (when my parents weren't looking) to Murder, She Wrote and Matlock.

Winner of the Newbery Medal in 1979, it continues to be included in school curriculums. The thing I liked the most about this book was that it had the strangest cast of characters, and the mystery was so clever. It felt like an interactive puzzle that left me guessing the entire time. (PG)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul