December 16, 2009

On Writing

Stephen King, 2000
Master of suspense
gives suggestions on writing;
memoir included

Interestingly enough, this is the first book by Stephen King that I've ever read. I've seen a few movies based on his works: The Green Mile, It, Carrie, The Shawshank Redemption, and Stand by Me (some of which are more decent than others) and I find his stories to be pretty entertaining. With that said, I don't plan on reading any of these books because he tends to be a bit too heavy on the vulgarity.

But (oh yes, there's a 'but'), I loved this book. It's nicely woven and doesn't read like a typical 'How to be a Writer' manual. I appreciate his honesty about his struggles and addictions, and I feel like I kind of got to hang out with him for a few days. However crass, his story of how he came up with the idea for Carrie and how it got published is fascinating. (R)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul