December 9, 2009

The Scarlet Letter

Nathaniel Hawthorne, 1850
Hester wears an 'A',
a symbol of shame and guilt
for all to witness

I was supposed to have read this (in its entirety) in 11th grade English, but we all know how that went. I started it again shortly after graduating from college, but once again got stuck somewhere around the description of a door. Thank heavens for my new resolve to finish books that I start... It's nice when you think you know the plot of a story, and your assumptions were way off.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the characters, though. Honestly speaking, I'm not a Puritan, so I can't judge them according to their own standards, but from a more modern perspective, Hester's a martyr, Dimmesdale's a pansy, and Chillingworth...well, read his name. I don't like the idea of anyone shouldering blame, but with such a nasty villain as Chillingworth, I can't quite blame the Reverend. (PG)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul