January 17, 2010

Charlotte's Web

E.B. White, 1952
Wilbur gets help from
a spider, who uses her
skills to save his life

I remember watching the old animated version of this story as a child (my mom loves Debbie Reynolds), and reading the book for the first time, I felt like I was watching it all over again. It's such a cute little story with all the farm animals, and yet at the same time it's kind of melancholy. Life changes, and we grow up and lose people we love, and it's kind of rough at times. That's what it's really about.

Wilbur, honestly, is ridiculous. I don't know what it was that made Charlotte grow so fond of him, other than the fact that he was completely helpless. He is some pig, though. Even Fern forgot about him after a while, chasing off after Henry Fussy. (Anyone else think she was kind of young to be daydreaming about boys?) The best character, hands down, is still Templeton. (G)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul