January 5, 2010

The Great Gatsby

F. Scott Fitzgerald, 1925
Gatsby tries to win
Daisy's affections through wealth
with tragic results

I was kind of surprised when my sister-in-law, Robyn, told me that this was one of her favorite books in high school. I thought everyone was like me and got fed up with the symbolism and decided to just skim the pages. Turns out some people actually read the books they were assigned. Her devotion to the book was appealing, so I found an old copy on my mother-in-law's shelf and gave in.

The entire time while I was reading, I couldn't tell if I was enjoying the story or not. I felt pretty much indifferent, but I figured it could go either way. During the last chapter, I struggled to contain my emotions, and when I finally closed the book, I cried. Not just for a second, but for like 30 minutes. Or more. I don't think I've ever grown to love a character more in the last ten pages of a book. (PG-13)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul