January 19, 2010

Ida B

Katherine Hannigan, 2004
A home-schooled youngster
is sent back to school when her
mother gets cancer

Honestly, the main character in this book reminds me a lot of India Opal from Because of Winn-Dixie. It's a little interesting, since Kate DiCamillo wrote a little blurb that's on the front cover. Wouldn't that be funny if Katherine Hannigan and Kate DiCamillo were the same person, and she just kept writing similar books and promoting them in turn? Hey...I'm laughing.

All joking aside, it's a decent little book. While reading, I pictured Ida B as Ellie from the Pixar movie Up. Crazy, kind of wild look about her, always looking for a new adventure and seeming to get into a lot of trouble...you know the type. I especially liked how nothing ended up perfectly at the end. She made messes that didn't get cleaned up. It's refreshing to read something so realistic in its resolve. (PG)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul