January 10, 2010

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

Brian Selznick, 2007
Hugo, an orphan,
winds the clocks, and meets a man
who hides a secret

Ever since I saw this book on my friend's shelf I'd wanted to read it. It's a fat book, about 500 pages, but the majority of the pages are pictures. Kind of a similar style as Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, except this book is for young adult readers, and not set in modern times. It's not often you find a work of historical fiction set in 1930's Paris that is geared for younger readers and contains drawings.

Winner of the Caldecott Medal, this story is based on the life of Georges Méliès, an inventor/early film-maker. At the time of the story, Méliès is already an old man, and the boy that meets him has unintentionally come upon one of his long-lost inventions. This was the first time I'd heard of an automaton, and I'm still trying to figure out what the point of one (other than as a random toy) would be. (PG)

My Goodreads Rating: 

1 comment:

  1. Great blog! I've been looking for book recommendations as I'm on a quest to expand my literary horizons. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete