January 18, 2010

Island of the Blue Dolphins

Scott O'Dell, 1960
A young girl is left
by her people and forced to
survive on her own

I remember reading this is elementary school and thinking it was really cool. Probably because it was based on a true story and things like that always fascinate me. A girl, left by her people on the island where they lived has to find a way to survive on her own. (Lucky she already knew how to find food.) If it were me left on a deserted island, I would be dead within a week. And that's just reality.

It kind of reminds me of the movie Castaway in a sense. Of course, like I said, the girl had already lived on the island, and knew how to live off of the land. There were no
ds/2009/05/castaway-wilson-ball-logo.jpg">volleyballs involved, but she did start talking to animals. (Can you blame her?) It's kind of a messed up story, though. I don't understand why the boat couldn't have just waited a few more minutes. It's all her brother's fault. Punk. (PG)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul