March 1, 2010

The Picture of Dorian Gray

Oscar Wilde, 1890
Wanting to stay young,
a painting is the only
proof that he has aged

So two of his plays, The Importance of Being Earnest (which I've read) and An Ideal Husband (which I plan to read), are some of the most clever plays I've ever seen. I had heard Dorian Gray mentioned before, and knowing nothing about the story, assumed it to be a comedy. The beginning was humorous, and then it started getting a little creepy. And it continued to be creepy, until it finally became gruesome.

I don't have a problem with gruesome; in fact I love a good horror story, so I was pleasantly surprised. This is the only novel that Oscar Wilde ever published and it contains similar Gothic motifs that can be found in Poe's short stories like The Tell-Tale Heart or The Cask of Amontillado (although published nearly 50 years later). It's absolutely horrifying with a perfectly macabre ending. (PG-13)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul