January 5, 2010

A Series of Unfortunate Events: Book the First

Lemony Snicket, 1999
The Baudelaire kids
go to live with Count Olaf,
a total creepster

I remember my mom talking about these books, and also my Young Adult Lit class in college, and thinking the whole Lemony Snicket/Daniel Handler thing was pretty sweet. You don't see many pen names nowadays... (If I ever use a pen name, it will be Nikki Heat. *wink wink* to all you Castle fans out there.) I liked the sort of gothic punk feel to this book, with its quirky writing and dark humor.

I remember seeing Jim Carrey in previews for the film they made and he's about as nasty as I imagined Count Olaf looking while I was reading. Count Olaf's definitely a creepy villain, but he's not just weird, he's downright nasty. He's an old man trying to trick this 14-year-old girl into marrying him...not ok. Maybe I take things a little too far, but his intentions made me slightly uncomfortable. (G)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul