April 1, 2010

Shooting the Moon

Frances O'Roark Dowell, 2008
Jamie's brother sends
photographs from Vietnam
where he is stationed

It's pathetic to me how little I actually know about the Vietnam War. Sure it was before I was born, but I still feel like I should be a little more informed than I currently am. Honestly, though, I don't really have any ties to it; no one from my family served in Vietnam. But even without the ties, I still feel like understanding our history is part of what being an American is all about.

Jamie, the young girl in this story, learns about the war in a very personal way. Her brother enlists and is sent to Vietnam, her father is a Colonel stationed in Texas, and she befriends a Private at the rec center where she volunteers. As she struggles to understand why her Pro-Army father would want to keep her brother out of Vietnam, she has her eyes opened to the many tragedies of war. (PG)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul