September 16, 2010

A Midsummer Night's Dream

William Shakespeare, 1594
Puck uses magic
to influence mortals and
help them find true love

When I think of this play, I think of Dead Poet's Society. Robert Sean Leonard’s character, Neil, played Robin a.k.a. Puck and that’s where I first fell in love with him. (Robert Sean Leonard, not Puck.) There’s another movie that includes this play with Kirsten Dunst, but its name should never be mentioned in the same blog with DPS. The play is not included in its entirety in either of these films, but there is a recent film version with Christian Bale and Anna Friel that is actually pretty good.


This has been my favorite Shakespeare play to read so far. It was fast-paced, and super clever and witty. It’s just your classic comedy of errors. (Not to be confused with the play of the same name.) One thing I love about this play is that everyone ends up happy in the end, but I wonder how happy I would be if I were Helena and the guy I loved only loved me back because of a spell. I guess if the guy was Robert Sean Leonard I wouldn’t mind so much. (PG)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul