June 16, 2010

The Taming of the Shrew

William Shakespeare, 1590
Kate, the shrew, is tamed
by Petruchio, who proves
anyone can change

Many of Shakespeare's plays have inspired film adaptations, and I think 10 Things I Hate About You is a pretty decent one. Of course there are parts that have to be changed to fit with modern society, but all in all, it stays pretty close to the original plot. I do remember another adaption though...Moonlighting. That's right, the old show with Cybill Shepherd and Bruce Willis. (Not as good...)

The Taming of the Shrew is a super clever story, although it's definitely geared for Shakespeare's time. Petruchio basically teaches Kate to obey by abusing her. He starves her, ignores her, and finally wears her down. Things like that wouldn't fly nowadays, no matter how raunchy the wife was. I prefer to see Petruchio and Kate in a more modern setting. Give me a paint-balling Heath Ledger any day. (PG)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul