March 16, 2011

The Call of the Wild

Jack London, 1903
A domestic pup
learns to brave the wilderness
deep in Alaska

During my many years as an undergraduate, I was assigned to read London's short story "To Build A Fire" more times than I can count and I don't think I ever read it through completely. I regret not giving it a chance, because Jack London (great name, btw...) is a fantastic writer. I don't think I've ever been able to feel such a wilderness as London describes.

The relationship between Buck and John Thornton is such a loving one, and reminds me of my father-in-law Gary and his dog Maddy. Maddy is loyal to a fault and as obedient a dog as I ever saw. I sometimes feel she's jealous of my mother-in-law for making her the #2 woman in Gary's life. Maddy even rides along on cross-country bike trips. Man's best friend... (PG)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul