April 1, 2011

The Merchant of Venice

William Shakespeare, 1597
Antonio must
pay his debt to Shylock or
one pound of his flesh

It often occurs when I read Shakespeare that I come upon familiar plot lines or characters that I've read before and I think automatically 'how un-original'. I know that Shakespeare is the true author, but having things retold so many times, it somehow makes the original seem a little trite. I know that doesn't really make any sense, but nobody said it had to. Are there any truly original stories left?

In reference to the play, however, I really do like it. I think Portia is a great character, strong on her own, but happy in love. Shakespeare has a way with writing women. Shylock is another great character, but I have to admit that the famous speech where he quotes: "If you prick us, do we not bleed..." always makes me think of Seinfeld and the nose-pick. (PG-13)

My Goodreads Rating: 


No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul