February 16, 2011

The Red Badge of Courage

Stephen Crane, 1895
Sometimes the only
real method of survival
is to run and hide

About half-way through the book I learned that a 'red badge of courage' is a wound; a battle scar. Henry, the main character, spends most of the story being ashamed of not having one. I would consider myself lucky, but Henry thought it proved him a coward. Of course he did run at one point, so it would make sense that he would feel a little bit embarassed by his actions.

I'll probably never understand how a soldier would feel in a battle, but I'm pretty sure I'd be running. I would straight freak. This is one of the many reasons why I would not make a good police officer. Although I'll admit, I could feel my adrenaline pumping as Cole ordered a team from CTU to take out Jack Bauer the other night on 24. It's all a game until someone gets shot. (PG)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul