April 16, 2011

A Little Princess

Frances Hodgson Burnett, 1904
Playing pretend is
the only thing that can save
a young girl sometimes

My grandma owned the Shirley Temple movie based on this book, and I remember watching it often when I would spend the night. I always thought it was so sad (but good), but it was the 1995 film version that really made me love the story. I was surprised to find that both films were so different from the original story, but I believe they all portray the same theme well.

Sara Crewe really was a princess in every sense of the word. Kind, generous, honest...I hope my girls can be like Sarah Crewe. I am determined that this be a must-read in our home. Frances Hodgson Burnett, also the author of The Secret Garden, has a style that truly makes the reader feel like part of the fantasy, and in fact, like a little girl again. Unless you're a boy. (G)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul