May 1, 2011

The Talented Mr. Ripley

Patricia Highsmith, 1955
When stealing someone's
identity, one murder
is never enough

I can't decide on a diagnosis for Tom Ripley. Not that I'm qualified or anything, but I thought maybe I could take some of his issues and find a specific disorder. I was wrong. And maybe that's the way Patricia Highsmith wanted it. It's not necessary to know exactly what made Tom this way, and the not knowing actually makes him less predictable as a character, and in effect, more interesting.

He's not without emotion; he cares what people think about him. But he doesn't feel guilt for what he's done. He doesn't want to get caught, but he doesn't feel remorse. He constantly thinks that people are out to get him, which may just be the product of committing two murders. He feels shame, but not for the murders and he's materialistic to a fault. He's all over the psycho map. (PG-13)

My Goodreads Rating: 

1 comment:

  1. this is on my to read list. It's one of my favorite creep-fest movies.

    ReplyDelete