August 16, 2011

Pygmalion

George Bernard Shaw, 1913
A poor flower girl
has the chance to rise above
her situation

I'm a little ashamed to admit that I've read this play before and never wondered what the word 'Pygmalion' actually meant, and even more ashamed of my lit teacher who didn't feel it important enough to mention. In Greek mythology, Pygmalion was a sculptor who fell in love with one of his statues. Venus granted the sculptor's wish, and with Cupid's help, the statue was brought to life and they were married.

This is more of a common theme in film and literature than I had previously supposed; this idea of creating a 'Cinderella' and then falling in love with your creation. A sort of backwards Frankenstein. The play doesn't turn out quite like a Cinderella story might, but the ending is left open (if you don't read the unnecessary epilogue). My Fair Lady, the musical interpretation, does a great job at leaving the viewer with possibilities. (PG)

My Goodreads Rating: 

2 comments:

  1. This should delight you! Emma Thompson is writing a new My Fair Lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, my security word was "pinfracy". I thought you might find that interesting.

    ReplyDelete