July 1, 2011

Twelfth Night

William Shakespeare, 1601
It's pretty sad when
no one can tell a brother
and sister apart

The modern re-telling of She's the Man is close enough. Purists can argue all they want. And I'll admit something: I like Amanda Bynes. I think she's funny and I loved What A Girl Wants. I refuse to be ashamed any longer. And I know I've mentioned before that reading Shakespeare at times just feels like a story being re-hashed (even though his is probably the original), but this comedy just felt like all the others.

Mistaken identity, characters disguising themselves as the opposite sex, a semi-humorous troupe of side characters...it almost feels predictable. And we don't get to know Orsino at all which caused the supposed relationship between him and Viola to have almost no development. I know it's a comedy, but I feel like Shakespeare's name attached to it should give it some kind of deeper experience. Perhaps I'm confused. (PG)

My Goodreads Rating: 

1 comment:

  1. I don't if anyone else will say it... but I AM ashamed of you for like Amanda Bynes. And this review makes me feel like you really do like "She's the Man" more than you do Twelfth Night.

    This has certainly got my cross-garters in a twist.

    ReplyDelete