October 16, 2011

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Mark Twain, 1876
Tom & Huck witness
a murder & find themselves
in grave jeopardy

After reading Huck Finn I was expecting a little more from this book. I guess my mistake came from reading them out of chronological order. Thank you Lizzy, for helping me understand why Tom Sawyer might have had a little less depth to its message. It's basically just a simple mystery story. In fact the deepest thing in this book is probably the Mississippi River.

In truth, I'm not a fan of Tom at all. He's much more obnoxious than Huckleberry, and kind of a brat. (Maybe it's just that age group that I'm not a fan of...) I'm not saying that I don't enjoy the book; it's a fun story and Injun Joe makes a terriffic villain (scenes involving Injun Joe can get a tad grisly), but I would suggest people read Huck Finn over Tom Sawyer. The only "Tom Sawyer" that everyone should experience is the song by Rush. (PG)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul