November 16, 2011

Harvey

Mary Chase, 1944
At some point in life
it's likely that most of us
will see white rabbits

I feel like I say this a lot, but I'm not quite sure what to make of this play. It was funny, I guess, but I'm a little lost as to the point. And yes, I'm looking for a point. Always. Was it simply meant as a light-hearted comedy? I was expecting more with it winning the Pulitzer Prize for Drama. Imagining Jimmy Stewart in the lead (because I knew he had starred in a film adaptation) helped a little, but I was ultimately unable to fully enjoy myself.

Elwood P. Dowd, who is "friends" with a six-foot white rabbit, is taken to an asylum by his sister who is embarassed by his behavior. It seems though, that by the end of the play, others can see "Harvey" the rabbit as well. It's possible the ultimate statement is that we're all a little crazy, but the conclusion of the play seemed to wrap itself up way too fast. The significance here is definitely lost on me. (PG)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul