April 1, 2012

The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe

C.S. Lewis, 1950
Who would suspect that
Turkish Delight could cause such
a heap of troubles

I remember a strange animated adaptation of this story that creeped me out as a kid, and that might be why it took me twenty-eight years to read this simple little classic. You can definitely see similarities between Lewis and Tolkien (who were friends), although I feel like Lewis was able to break things up a little better. (100 pages is a lot easier to swallow than 400.)

While I found the story entertaining, I felt the characters lacked depth. It read more like a children's story than the religious allegory I've been told it is (though the religious symbolism is quite obvious). I wanted to know more about Aslan and the White Witch; my best bet is probably to bite the bullet and read the full Chronic-'what'-cles of Narnia. (PG)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul