May 16, 2012

Romeo & Juliet

William Shakespeare, 1597
Desperate times should
never call for such extreme
measures of resolve

Surprisingly, I was never assigned to read this in high school, and after reading it now, I'm not quite sure if it's a good idea to give teenagers access to materials about suicidal lovers. It's truly the quintessential Shakespearean tragedy, but it's not my favorite, and I think the story's pretty messed up. Love at first sight, and then running off the next day and getting married in secret is fast even for me, especially considering the family blood fued.

I like to think of myself as a romantic, but I hate the idea of both of them feeling they had to die if they couldn't be together. To me that's not romance, it's just idiotic. But I don't know, maybe the times that we live in now really are that different from theirs. I'm thankful for modern film though, because I feel that Shakespeare in Love is the best (and least depressing) portrayal of this classic tween drama. (PG-13)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul