June 16, 2012

The Crucible

Arthur Miller, 1953
Sometimes the only
thing that a man has left in
this world is his name

I've read this before, seen the film several times, the play once, and even written a paper on the play's underlying themes...so it should come as no surprise to learn that I consider this one of the most fascinating stories ever written. This most recent read was done in about two hours on a Saturday. I thought I would just read a little, but I couldn't put it down; there was never a comfortable place to leave off at.

Miller has a way of pulling you into a story, that even though you feel sick to your stomach, the masochist within you demands that you keep reading. It's horrible and wonderful at the same time, giving into this morbid desire to torment ourselves with a hopelessly tragic story. And yet I feel that everyone should experience this at some time. (PG-13)

My Goodreads Rating: 

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy this play as well, I think it's actual message is important. The problem I have with it is the implied message about the "witch-hunt" for communists in the US. I see a major flaw comparing the 2 situations. In the crucible, the reader/viewer is never led to believe that witchcraft is real in any sense. On the other hand, communism was/is real and it was horrible and threatening in a way that could bring an end to the US as a country and way of life. I guess I'm saying that this book should be read and then applied to the reader's life instead of applying it to McCarthyism which was dealing with an actual threat.

    ReplyDelete