October 1, 2012

Eat, Pray, Love

Elizabeth Gilbert, 2006
A divorced tourist
discovers pleasure, peace, and
love through her travels

A sort of last-minute book club choice, I was kind of excited to read a modern autobiography, as I've been a little caught up in the 19th century lately. And although she's somewhat raunchy and vulgar at times, Elizabeth Gilbert is a phenomenal writer. She could be writing about the most tedious experience (which may or may not include the "India" portion of her book) and I would still find her voice completely captivating.

She has a way of describing a location, or a meal, or an occurrence that gives me the ability to smell, taste, and feel my way through a book, which supposedly is one of the marks of a good writer; and yet with some of the modern fiction I've read lately, I'm not quite sure that many of those are actually still in existence. Someone please...prove me wrong. (R)

My Goodreads Rating: 

1 comment:

  1. That's interesting... I started the book and was not too excited about her writing style... gave it up actually. Maybe I'll give it another go.

    ReplyDelete