August 16, 2012

Fables

Æsop, Unknown
So many stories
told and retold help children
remember lessons

I think there are more of Æsop's fables that we don't attribute to him than we're aware of. I remember we had Æsop's book (probably abridged) as a child, and I always just thought his name was weird and the pictures were kind of creepy. But I had other books that retold his stories with prettier pictures and happier colors, and those are the ones that I remember the most. An obvious aesthetician from birth.

I realize now that I never knew Æsop had any part in the story of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf", or "The Tortoise and the Hare", and I was completely unaware that he is the genius behind the adage of not counting chickens before they hatch. I found some of his morals to be personally enlightening, most notably from "Androcles" that "Gratitude is the sign of noble souls." I'd like to be more noble. (G)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul