September 1, 2012

Rebecca

Daphne du Maurier, 1938
At Manderley there
are disturbing secrets that
threaten happiness

Though I can agree that du Maurier is one heck of an author, I can't disguise the fact that I felt let down upon completion of her classic novel. I was waiting for something big to happen (and it did), but I was ultimately confused by the actions of some major characters. I'm not claiming to know better than the author, but there were quite a few things that just didn't seem to fit.

Or maybe they fit so well that it made me uncomfortable. I'm sure I'm not the first person to admit that they expect others to behave a certain way, or feels they can predict a reaction, but i was just so off in my assumptions. I guess I want to feel that these characters are atypical, because the alternative would be that I am surrounded by sociopaths. (PG-13)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul