August 1, 2012

White Fang

Jack London, 1906
Raised to fight, White Fang
learns to change his ways through a
new master's kindness

I enjoyed reading The Call of the Wild, another of London's novels, and I remembered vaguely the film White Fang starring a young Ethan Hawke; it was only natural I should read the book as well. I knew it would be good (and I was right) mainly because Jack London is a consistently great writer. He's one of the more descriptive authors that make you feel like all of your senses are actually working.

The one thing I will say, is that it took a long time to get to the positive, more happy part of the story. The majority was pretty sad and distressing, as this wolf-dog is abandoned and mistreated. Not that I can't endure difficult topics, but being as descriptive as he is, there are several scenes where dogs are killed, and small animals caught and eaten that had my poor vegetarian heart begging for reprieve. (PG)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul