November 1, 2012

Don Quixote

Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, 1604
Crazy or sane? But
who really has the right to
decide what is sane?

It's taken me forever to finish this, it seems, that I can't even remember when I actually started. I'm guessing it was about a year ago, which just writing that makes me ill. I knew it was going to be a lengthy process, but I'm proud to say that I've read the entire book; all 126 chapters. Although not entirely engaging the whole way through, overall, it had an interesting story, and definitely proved to be a classic at times.

I wouldn't normally do this, because I like to keep my posts pretty short, but after a year of reading, I feel I just need to showcase a few great samples of Cervantes' skills.

“Sleep thou who art born to sleep, or do as thou wilt, for I will act as I think most consistent with my character.” (Don Quixote)

“...as printed works are examined leisurely, their faults are easily seen; and the greater the fame of the writer, the more closely are they scrutinised. Men famous for their genius, great poets, illustrious historians, are always, or most commonly, envied by those who take a particular delight and pleasure in criticising the writings of others, without having produced any of their own.” (Samson Carrasco)

"...it is no wonder my words are taken for nonsense; but no matter; I understand myself, and I know I have not said anything very foolish in what I have said; only your worship, senor, is always gravelling at everything I say, nay, everything I do." (Sancho Panza)
"Cavilling, not gravelling," said Don Quixote, "thou prevaricator of honest language, God confound thee!"

"...indignities offered to their charms and self-esteem mightily provoke the anger of women and make them eager for revenge."

Also included in the narrative is a beautiful poem by Luigi Tansillo called "Tears of Saint Peter".

I will never read this book again, and I would assume that most people won't read it at all, but if you feel so inclined, I couldn't not recommend it. (PG)

My Goodreads Rating: 


No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul