November 16, 2012

The Eyre Affair

Jasper Fforde, 2001
In another time
and another place, Jane Eyre
will change forever

First off, I love the idea of this book. I think it's super creative and original and I was excited to start reading, with hopes for a well-developed story that would pull me in. It didn't happen though. Instead I felt lost for most of the book, waiting for the unifying element of Jane Eyre to be incorporated into the plot. Other than a few brief mentionings of Mr. Rochester, the story of Jane Eyre is not brought into focus until the last fourth of the book.

Not only did I find the story disappointing, but I felt the main character lacked major development. At times reminiscent of Agent Olivia Dunham from Fringe, the majority of the time she responded too immaturely for a professional in her mid-30's. The story's ending was so forcibly wrapped up in an all-too-convenient manner that my frustration lies not only with the random mess of the plot, but with the fact that I held out such hope that Fforde could pull it off. I would have rated this PG-13, but one chapter randomly has several F-words. (R)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul