December 16, 2012

King Lear

William Shakespeare, 1606
It's stories like this
that help me realize how
sane my family is

I can't lie and say that I was completely excited about reading this play. I know it's one of Shakespeare's most well-known tragedies, but I just wasn't feeling it. I do however have a new appreciation for the name Cordelia, as before I only associated the name with Charisma Carpenter's character from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The name Regan also stands out, and I can see why it would have been chosen for the main character in The Exorcist.

My first conclusion about this story was that this family was seriously messed up. But I've come to realize that the issue isn't only with King Lear's daughters, or a screwed-up family dynamic necessarily, but it is a reflection on people as a whole. Sure the family had their issues, but there were so many other people involved, and the idea of this sort of deviancy running rampant in Shakespeare's society really doesn't show any kind of improvement on our society's part. (PG-13)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul