December 1, 2012

The Wind in the Willows

Kenneth Grahame, 1908
Mole, Rat, and Badger
band together to help save
their friend Mr. Toad

Although I was familiar with the characters and the main plot, I found the story hard to follow, and I was easily distracted while reading. The storyline didn't seem to be completely linear, and it felt at times like the chapters jumped in and out of the plot. I found the characters engaging and the main plot fun, but it was the side chapters that confused me. I couldn't see that they were related at all to the book.

Toad is definitely the most interesting and intriguing of the characters; totally self-involved and irrational. It's laughable to imagine a toad dressed in a bonnet and dress trying to pass himself off as a washerwoman, and his obsession with "motorcars" is hilarious as he never can fully comprehend the importance of safety. Disney's animated adaptation The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad perfectly portrays the four main characters. (G)

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Comments are like cookies for my soul