March 1, 2013

The Help

Kathryn Stockett, 2009
It's hard to have to
realize how unfair times
are for some people

I was interested in reading this book as I'd had friends rave about it and seen previews for the newly-released film, so I was pretty excited to see a copy sitting on my mother-in-law's shelf. I’ve got to say that I found the hype over the film to be a little over-the-top. I always think the book is better, but I didn’t think this movie was all that well-done, especially for a major award-winner. I feel many people were calling it a great movie just because of the subject matter.


I grew up in a white, middle-class family in California in the 1980's. My sense of what is fair and what is not is based on what I've learned in history classes and from reading books. Although I may not have the life experience necessary to fully appreciate the sacrifices and hardships that others have experienced, I feel that books are here to help me with that, even if it's just to comprehend the tiniest bit of someone’s existence. (PG-13)

My Goodreads Rating: 

5 comments:

  1. That's funny, I had similar thoughts about the movie. I thought it was okay, but definitely paled in comparison to the book. I felt that they softened the racism and danger of the era. The book drove it home a little more real than the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Time McGraw loves your blog. That's pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a breakdown in the theater lobby after the movie because it was heart-wrenching to me. Surprisingly, the book didn't do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I only cried once during the movie and it was brief. Interesting that we had pretty opposite reactions. It must be cause you're adopted. :)

      Delete