March 16, 2013

The Jungle Book

Rudyard Kipling, 1894
Kipling's story of
Mowgli and Shere Khan is not
all this book entails

I was surprised when the story of Mowgli ended just three chapters in. I never realized that the book was actually a collection of short stories and poetry about the jungle (I don't necessarily think the title explicitly implies this...). Tales of tigers and elephants and even mongooses made sense, but randomly there a story about a seal off the coast of Novastoshnah (which sounds a lot like Nova Scotia to me). Not sure how we got from the jungle to Canada.

For some reason I can't think of the name Rudyard Kipling without associating him with The Jungle Book. and because of this I always picture him as being Indian. But I'm wrong. He's British. The youngest recipient of the Nobel Prize for Literature, and a man who has inspired countless generations of poets and writers, will always, in my mind, look like Gandhi. (PG)

My Goodreads Rating: 

5 comments:

  1. I love reading your reviews. I actually read some books recently (my first in a lonnnng time.) I read Soul Surfer by and about the girl that got her arm bitten off by a shark, Austenland and Midnight in Austenland by Shannon Hale. All three books were fun, quick reads. I think you'd like The Austenland books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you always comment! And if I did have a list of friends on here, you two would definitely be at the top. I have read Austenland, but not the sequel, and I agree it was fun and only took me about two days. I have a plan to post 3X a week from now on, cause it's a little ridiculous to only post every 4 months or so...We'll see how that goes. :)

      Delete
    2. I like that you're posting more especially since you don't ever update on Facebook. Its my only glimpse into what's going on in your life! The sequel, Midnight in Austenland has a murder mystery in it, making it all that much more Courtneyrific.

      Delete
  2. Interesting! I didn't realize it was a collection of essays, either. I love that you review all of these books! It makes it easy for me to know whether they're worth my time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm more than willing to be your guinea pig. :)

      Delete